Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Vienna



Five years ago today Kevin and I met on a study abroad in Vienna, Austria. We met in an airport his sister told us he was shy so at first I didn't think he was my type at all. Little did I know he is the opposite of shy. After about month or so of becoming great friends I apparently changed my mind about him.

Anyway, out of the blue he held my hand on an overnight train to Italy. I was a bit surprised but more confused when he decided to "give back" my hand after it was awkward. It took him about another week to do it again...which is like 2 months when you are together 24/7. Anyway, he kissed me on the first snowfall that year, the day before my birthday, in front of a world famous opera house (I am not into opera but still it was a cool place)

Me and one of my best friends had a bet to "find" someone in Europe...or at least to kiss someone. (Sorry mom, I know it was dumb) Kevin knew about it so he claims that he didn't want me to win and that is what took him so long to pull the moves but really he was just trying to work up the guts.:)

We had the greatest time travelling all over Europe and falling in love. I have the best memories of Castle Hill in Prague, the baths in Budapest, riding boats in Capri, hanging out with townies playing pool and soccer, riding bikes to Melk, ice skating behind huge castles, the salt mines in Salzburg, being blessed by the Pope in Rome, and everything in between.

Towards the end of the trip we went to dinner at a tower with a revolving restaurant on top. That is where he asked me to marry him. (He officially asked me later after he talked to my mom and met the fam) The next day we took off to Rome and Capri for the weekend. It was amazing.

I am so glad I was able to study abroad in Europe...study something :) I love Kevin so much and I am glad we have such a fun story to tell about how we FELL IN LOVE.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

You guys seriously have such a great story to pass down! I love it. Europe seems like a perfect place to fall in love. I can tell myself I had something to do with it since I made that bet with you.

Amanda said...

I had never heard your story before. It really doesn't get must better then that!

niki said...

Has it really been 5 years??? I loved hearing this story and remembering you two! I am so glad you found one another! I remember telling you that I was not sure of your "type" of guy, until I saw you with Kevin! You guys are perfect for each other and you make really cute little boys too! :)

alma and nicole smith said...

ahh, vienna! that was one of the best times in my life!! i just love that place. so fun that that is where you two met, fell in love, and got engaged! not to mention the huge pressure that put on me and collin (thanks a lot :). i just loved regina and how she said, "bye kewin, have fun in wenice!" haha. good times, good times.